Lagniappe

a little something extra

Monday, January 23, 2006

copper bracelet

I'm wearing my mother's copper bracelet today. It's a bangle about an inch wide, covered with decorations that look like the carvings on a totem pole. She's had the bracelet for as long as I can remember.

I'm wearing it to see whether it helps with a recurring pain that has developed in my left hand. I noticed it this past fall, and during the last recurrence in early December it was painful enough that I whined about it a little bit. I thought it might be the first twinges of arthritis, so the whining had as much to do with my inner protest that I was too young to have arthritis as it did with the actual pain. In response to my whining, my mom told me she had been told that copper mysteriously helps such pain, and she offered to bring me her copper bracelet when I saw her at Christmas.

This morning at the gym I noticed that my hand was getting sore. The pain tends to start in the outside of my left palm and if it gets bad, it spreads up into my pinky and ring fingers. I put the bracelet on, and darnitall, the pain hasn't gotten any worse. Perhaps I'll wear it to bed tonight as well.

In other news, tonight the Pacific Chorale starts up rehearsals again after the long winter break. Let's see how rusty I am after three months of only singing at church.

9 Comments:

At 9:46 PM , Blogger Benjamin said...

Hmmm... sounds suspiciously like carpal tunnel... you have been known to do lots of typing from time to time... any chance of getting this checked out soon?

ASOC doing Verdi Requiem and Mozart Missa Solemnis, both of which are rocking my world. I've sung enough Verdi opera choruses to have gotten tired of the old windbag, but this mass is tons o' fun.

 
At 11:11 AM , Blogger meeegan said...

Enjoy those major works!

I hadn't thought about carpal tunnel as a possibility -- I'm right-handed, my computer mouse at work is on the right (I'd rather have it on the left but I can't move it because of stupid desk non-ergonomics) so I would expect any repetitive stress injury to show up on the right side.

I'll bear the possibility in mind, though, if the pain ever gets to the point where I'm willing to do anything about it.

 
At 12:30 PM , Blogger Tripp Hudgins said...

Sorry about the whineworthy pains. That's unfortunate.

And have fun singing again. Have you been singing at The Church of What's Happening Now?

 
At 3:49 PM , Blogger meeegan said...

Yes. The minister of music there also sings in Pacific Chorale, so I was "outed" as a singer right away.

 
At 8:25 AM , Blogger Tripp Hudgins said...

Yeah, being outted is such a frustration. I have been told that I will likely sing in the choir of whatever church I serve.

This would be a great thing at That Church as their music program is quite fine. They have been hosting soloists from the Lyric of late. Who knew?

The downside to being the singing clerical type is that worship can border on the Pastor Whatshisname Variety Review.

Not good.

 
At 11:12 AM , Blogger meeegan said...

I'm somewhat surprised that a church where you'd be on staff would expect you to sing in the choir. That seems above and beyond, to me.

Of course, in my opinion they should welcome you with open arms if you WANT to sing. But to EXPECT it of you on top of staff pastoral responsibilities seems a bit pushy.

 
At 11:17 AM , Blogger Cristopher said...

Oh, I dunno. I was required to lead the singing at the annual parish meeting last weekend (with the cappelmeister also in attendance, thank you very much), and it's only a matter of time before people start making non-casual suggestions that I sing the eucharistic prayers. I may be saved/prevented from the latter by the fact that the senior pastor can't carry a tune in a bucket with a lid.

If I hadn't worked a song into a recent sermon, they might not all know I can sing...but I'm afraid I outed myself.

 
At 5:13 PM , Blogger meeegan said...

Ha! No room for faux modesty for you, then!

You know, standing around in the house in Sugar Land singing hymns is still one of my favorite memories of your wedding weekend.

 
At 10:05 AM , Blogger Samg32 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home