Lagniappe

a little something extra

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Once upon a time...

I was a grad student in theatre, and through pursuit of a hobby I met a student in engineering. This is an unusual event to begin with; grad students in theatre tend not to know anyone who doesn't do theatre. But I was lucky to meet Cristopher, and he became a dear friend.

Over the years, Cristopher married a wonderful woman (Kristina) and their work took them from Texas to northern California. I visited them in the South Bay when Kristina was about a month away from giving birth to their son. During that visit we talked, we cooked, we ate, and Cristopher and I took a walk through the redwoods. During that walk he told me he was thinking seriously about a call to the ministry.

Cristopher has a lot to offer as a minister. He's compassionate, gentle, and quick to connect with people. He's extremely intelligent, but doesn't throw his intellectual weight around. He has a terrific sense of humor and a genuine love of people.

So today, Cristopher is being ordained a priest in the Episcopal Church. His blog is here, if you're tempted to join me in congratulating him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home