Lagniappe

a little something extra

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

a farewell to coffee

Two strong indicators suggest I have to drag my bones back onto the decaf wagon.

On top of my bad news this weekend, I had a whopping two-day headache. It was aiming for three but fell a bit short. Those headaches have tended to hit on weekends over the past few months. I don't tend to make coffee on weekends. Oops. Oh, no.

And in a phone conversation with my mother about the day I described as like being nibbled to death by ferocious ants, I mentioned that I have days like that about once or twice a week -- days when I am so irritated with the world in general that I just about lose my mind. She said, "That's far too often." And I remembered how my doctor in Austin practically begged me to cut out coffee, and when I did, not only did some little physical problems disappear, but my emotional life got unexpectedly better. I had thought it was just that life was hard -- turned out that all the caffeine was artificially inflating my anxiety level.

Now this fall, after years of verrrrry limited caffeine consumption, I had started drinking a single travel mug of coffee each morning to stave off drowsiness during my Monumentally Boring Highway Commute. (Ask Erin, she can confirm how Monumentally Boring it is.) Apparently even that much caffeine is no good for me. Brings on the ferocious ants.

So. Back on the wagon I go. I bought a pound of decaffeinated beans when I did my grocery shopping this weekend. I've mixed in what was left of my leaded beans, and will taper down with that until I'm drinking decaf only.

Coffee, I hardly knew ye.

5 Comments:

At 7:29 AM , Blogger Erin said...

Hmmm, perhaps you should start a contest/suggestion list - or perhaps that's just what I'm doing by posting here? - what can Megan do to relieve her ennui during the MBHC now that coffee is right out? (And I do, indeed, confirm the lack of interesting-ness involved in crawling along the 5/405 ...) Here's one thing I've done when struck by weariness and/or highway hypnosis along I-95: I start singing "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" from the beginning ... Yeah, you can tell that I drive alone :)

 
At 7:50 AM , Blogger chunkinsblog said...

Megan - I call people on my cell phone when I get tired in the car. The interaction wakes me right up. I'm at my desks in the morning normally - you can always call me :)

 
At 9:17 AM , Blogger meeegan said...

Good suggestions -- I will use both.

Keep 'em coming, folks!

 
At 11:51 AM , Blogger Tripp Hudgins said...

This is a sad day indeed. I wish you an ant-free life, Megan.

 
At 1:34 PM , Blogger Wanda Yang Temko said...

I decided to go unleaded nearly two months ago, and strangely enough, I now stay up later at night (almost as late as Ben). It seems that I don't need the lead to stay awake during the day, but I'm one of those mutations who grow sleepy with excessive caffeine. Go figure. Now, when I have caffeine, it's almost a guarantee that I am asleep in front of the TV by ten pm. You go girl, who needs that enticing stimulant.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home