Lagniappe

a little something extra

Thursday, February 02, 2006

attitude adjustment

This was not a day when I felt like my guts were being ripped out by the circling vultures a la Prometheus, but a day when I felt like I was being nibbled to death by an endless parade of tremendously irritating ants. Some of those ants included...
  • The customer service person working for my wireless provider. When I called this morning and said "I'd like to report a lost phone and see about ordering a replacement," the person replied, "Have you tried looking for it?"
  • All the various people who dropped into my assistant's office to shoot the breeze. Loudly. For a long time.
  • All the various people who chose the spot right outside my office to stand and talk. Loudly. For a long time.
  • The staff member who appeared unannounced in my office and shoved a finished marketing piece in front of my face, demanding to know what I saw, while I was literally in the middle of doing something else.
  • The person who emailed my theatre to complain about the representation of Jesus in a recent play, and the artistic director who delegated to me responsibility to compose a reply, which is not to include the phrase "withdraw the stick from your ass."
  • My missing cell phone.
  • The stomach-sickening feeling of discovering a friend has retreated into political conservatism and is unfortunately puffed-up about it.
  • Reminding myself by another go-round of the same icky experience, that I should not discuss reproductive rights with persons of the conservative persuasion.
  • Having to spend the money to replace my missing cell phone.
  • The note I found from the apartment maintenance staff when I arrived home, stating that he or she had "Adjusted the thermostat and set it to Heat and Auto." It was on Heat and Auto when I left.
  • Not hearing about something that's very much on my mind, and not knowing when I will hear. (Don't ask, I can't say more.)
So I was a profoundly cranky camper by 7 p.m. But the choir at the Church of What's Happenin' Now rehearses at 7:30 on Thursdays, and I am nothing if not responsible. I ate something quickly and off I went, and was reminded of all the many ways that singing is a healthy activity.
  • Anything that has you sit more or less still and breathe deeply for an hour is bound to be good for you.
  • Focused effort to be in harmony with other people has an effect on the mind that goes beyond the music of the moment.
  • The lyrics are cheering and uplifting all on their own (just try and be grumpy through three verses of e.e. cummings!)
  • The Church of What's Happenin' Now has a high proportion of loving people involved with its music program.
  • Several of those people are themselves going through much rougher times than I am, or are seeing people close to them through rougher times. Ah, perspective.
So I don't know what my furnace is going to do tonight, but I do know that I'll probably sleep better thanks to the attitude adjustment that was visited upon me.

'Night, y'all!

9 Comments:

At 9:01 AM , Blogger Tripp Hudgins said...

Hmm...

Them's a lot of things, Megan. Here is to a good attitude today.

I too needed choir rehearsal last night. What a boon! We are celebrating African-American Heritage Month at North Shore Baptist. So, as I am the paragon of African-American Heritage, I get the solo on Deep River.

Damn if it doesn't just set me right every time that high E-flat cuts through Shaw's lush harmony.

Excellent.

Did ya have heat?

 
At 9:28 AM , Blogger meeegan said...

Yes, the heat behaved! Allah be praised.

The Church of What's Happenin' Now is singing music by African-American composers and arrangers exclusively throughout February. "Ain' Got Time to Die" is on the docket for this week.

 
At 9:31 AM , Blogger Tripp Hudgins said...

That was sung at my ordination service.

It's gonna take all-a-my time!

Excellent.

This weekend we are singing Witness. How many times have I sung this piece? I cannot count that high!

 
At 9:32 AM , Blogger Quev said...

Ooh, 'Ain't Got Time To Die' is one of my favorite spirituals.

Sorry to hear about the cranky-making day, Megan. Here's to a restorative weekend.

I loved this:
>>The person who emailed my theatre to complain about the representation of Jesus in a recent play, and the artistic director who delegated to me responsibility to compose a reply, which is not to include the phrase "withdraw the stick from your ass."

Wouldn't it be great if we could respond to obnoxiousness in that way from time to time? Stoopid professional decorum.

 
At 9:46 AM , Blogger meeegan said...

Yea, verily! But we need every ticket-buyer we can scrounge, so for me to alienate this one would be untoward. :(

Since "Ain' Got Time to Die" is so popular, I'm going to Google its lyrics and a sound file if I can find one, and post them in the next entry.

 
At 10:05 AM , Blogger meeegan said...

Tripp, you've been singing "Witness" since at least 1988 or '89, which was the first time I heard the U of R choir do it. :)

 
At 10:35 AM , Blogger Tripp Hudgins said...

Let's see...

Let's assume that I have sung it 5 times each year...multiply that by 18...ninety times. That is only in performances mind you. I can count to ninety most days. Beyond that, I make no promises.

 
At 10:36 AM , Blogger Quev said...

I've sung 'Witness' myself, come to think of it, in both high school and college.

 
At 3:49 PM , Blogger Cristopher said...

If you have not yet composed a reply, sticks up asses are a particular specialty of mine... :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home