Lagniappe

a little something extra

Friday, January 18, 2008

no-commute day

I organized today to work at home, since I had no meetings on the calendar and no other reason why I would specifically need to be in the office. Skipping the round-trip commute saves me an hour and a half on an ordinary day, and that is very nice! It's now after 3 p.m and so far the only driving I've done today was to move the car this morning. I had found parking on a side of the street that gets swept on Fridays, so once the other morning commuters were gone, I moved my car to another place, out of the sweeping path.

I've read and reported on three of the scripts I brought home for this day of non-commuting. None were awful, but only one of them earned the impulse for me to bring it to the attention of my colleagues who are involved in planning our next season. The other two have been weeded out; screening is part of my responsibility.

I brought home a few more, but I am tired enough now that I think I may stop. No playwright or play should have to overcome the additional obstacle of my being tired or cranky or otherwise in a less than hospitable frame of mind. Reading and reporting on three plays in a day is enough. If I get inspired to read the others over this three-day weekend (my office is closed for MLK Day on Monday) I'll do so. If not, they'll be at the front of the queue on Tuesday.

I'm waiting for the last load of laundry to finish. Once I've folded the clothes and put them away, and remade the bed with the clean sheets, I'll venture out to do a few errands. I have a little jewelry repair to arrange, and a piece of hanging art that needs new glass in its frame. And I need to pick up some coffee beans -- I'm hoping that this independent neighborhood business carries organic, shade grown, fair trade options. They roast their own coffee, which is one of my all-time favorite aromas.

If I'm really motivated and organized, I'll get the grocery shopping done. Isn't the life of a working artist just unbearably glamorous? ;-)

2 Comments:

At 2:26 PM , Blogger Benjamin said...

No less glamorous than that of the average computer scientist! Do you know it's actually snowing here in Atlanta now? We've gotten a few inches of accumulation even. Very exciting times!

I used to consider coffee as being akin to shampoo : smells wonderful; do not drink. Now I'm thoroughly reliant on my cuppa in the morning, even if it is decaffeinated.

Oh and today we worked out, and mom and Wanda went shopping for shoes. Another day in paradise...

PS - "shade grown"?

 
At 5:20 PM , Blogger meeegan said...

Coffee grown in the shade of bigger trees provides fantastic bird habitat, promotes biodiversity AND winds up tasting better to the humans.

More info here:
http://www.eartheasy.com/eat_shadegrown_coffee.htm

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home