Lagniappe

a little something extra

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

musings on time

One more night at work, and then I will have fully discharged my responsibilities for the current show. Tonight is our second post-show audience discussion, and it will bring my total-nights-at-work to eight out of the last thirteen. Throw in two evening choral rehearsals and the night I saw J*'s show in Laguna among those five "free" evenings, and you can see why my apartment isn't painted yet. Ben & Wanda did a great job with their studio painting and reorganizing job, though -- if you haven't visited the Atlanta Chronicles in a while, go over and check out the pictures linked there.

Next week looks deliciously calm for me, in comparison to the sprint of the past couple of weeks. My upcoming weekend is heavier on daytime obligations than evening plans, Monday is a holiday (though I still have a Pacific Chorale rehearsal in the evening), and then Tuesday and Wednesday after work I am free. Free! Free!

Thursday is the regular choir rehearsal night for the Church of What's Happenin' Now, Northern Outpost. Friday night I'm going to have dinner and play games with some friends up in West Hollywood. That's a heinous commute on a Friday at rush hour, but my friends are worth it.

Sometimes I wonder what it's like to have discretionary time, and to wonder what to do with it. I have never lived that way. Thanks to my lifelong involvement in extracurricular arts, I always have an imposed structure on my leisure time.

I like it that way. I'm a planner and an anticipator by nature -- looking forward to something is half the fun of the thing itself. But there's an entirely other thrill to the spontaneous event or outing that comes together at the last minute, like my afternoon with S* did on Sunday.

Tough to build "be spontaneous" into my calendar, though. Hmmmm.

2 Comments:

At 8:15 PM , Blogger Benjamin said...

I absolutely require "down time" in my schedule. In fact, Few things make me more irate than when I know I have an evening off coming, and then a day before something happens to eat it up. I find I function much better with time to relax and be quiet.

On the other hand, I do so much love the Thursday-night-at-Manny's gig we've had going the last several years. When we finally have kids running around we're going to have to figure out some way to get the Manny's wait staff to serve beer in a sippy cup!

On a sidebar - The Vortex no longer serves <ahnold>Spaten Optimator</ahnold> on tap. You can imagine how this vexes me!

 
At 9:15 AM , Blogger meeegan said...

Because you intend to feed beer to the kids, or because you intend to start drinking from a sippy cup yourself?

And really, which of those is the more disturbing?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home