Lagniappe

a little something extra

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

watching New Hampshire

This is the first Presidential campaign I've gone through without the influence of broadcast television. It is a weeeeeeird thing to do, let me tell you.

First, it has shown me how much independent work I have to do in order to make myself the kind of informed voter I insist on being. Seeking out the candidates' websites and reading their position and policy statements, finding webcasts of the debates, figuring out my newspaper's bias and accounting for it.

Second, it has shown me how much the subliminal or overt emotional content of campaign advertising on TV has worked me up in the past. While the stakes are very high indeed, I feel calmer about this election than I have about others. Of course, it also helps that I feel like I can readily support whatever ticket emerges from the Democratic primaries and caucuses. I prefer Obama first, Clinton second and Edwards third, but any combo will do.

This is also the first Presidential election where I will feel the full impact of the time delay, voting on the West Coast. In past elections, I've had friends who grew up out west or who lived out west rail and complain about how the elections get called in the media before the West Coast polls have even closed. Now, I'll be in the middle of that.

So tonight, while I wait for the time for our show's next preview to roll around, I'm clicking and refreshing Cee Enn Enn.com every few minutes to see what the voters of New Hampshire have decided. I find it gratifying to see a close race on "my" side of the aisle -- having more than one strong candidate is gooooood.

So, who do you like?

4 Comments:

At 8:57 AM , Blogger chunkinsblog said...

I'm not sure who I like, but I can tell you that Lee doesn't like any of the Dems. He is not happy with the "protectionism" stance they are currently espousing. I've told him to wait a bit before he starts making offers to the coffers of Rudy (GASP!!) because right now the Dems are pitching hardcore to their base, and the GOP the same. It's only once we are past August that both parties will, thanks to the nominations, that they will start heading straight to the center and abandoning the planks of their platforms that are too divisive.

But I don't like Edwards. I just don't think he's genuine. And I don't think Clinton or Obama are electable. I think Biden, Dodd, and Richardson are the best Dems in terms of experience, and two have left the race and one is reportedly going to do so today. So I'm SOL.

 
At 9:12 AM , Blogger Tripp Hudgins said...

I'm looking at Obama...Illinois has brainwashed me. What can I say? But I am still somewhat unconvinced. I agree with Colleen that the candidates will drift toward the center soon enough...unless the increase in voter turn out means something that I don't understand.

 
At 12:39 PM , Blogger Cristopher said...

This is the first election that I'll have to pay a modicum of attention to before, say, October. In past years, I've had the luxury of running along blissfully unaware of most of the rhetoric until then, but now people are asking my opinion and I feel like I have to be informed. I like Obama right now also, but we'll see what happens. And the other thing that I'm observing is that I'm tired of this election already, and it's JANUARY!

 
At 2:35 PM , Blogger meeegan said...

I'll be interested to hear more specifically what Lee means by "protectionism" when I see you guys in the spring.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home