Lagniappe

a little something extra

Friday, April 18, 2008

a word from my nephew

I spent the night at Wright Manor yesterday, and while I arrived so late in the evening that the nephews were nestled all snug in their beds, I got to spend some quality time with both boys this morning. Thence springs this blog post.

If your life is anything like mine, you wake in the morning to some kind of alarm clock. Whether you have a buzzer, a beeper, an old-fashioned bell, or (my personal favorite) NPR, some exterior sound wakes you up at an appointed time. Probably well before you would naturally wake up.

So, for most of us, the first sound we make in the morning is a moan, groan, snarl or cuss word as we turn off the alarm.

Not so for Drew, my 18-month-old nephew, he of the limited but highly expressive vocabulary.

Drew wakes up in the morning and cries, "Yay!"

Sometimes, this is the first thing his parents hear in the morning, his little voice piping "Yay!" as he greets the day. Sometimes he is so overflowing with happiness to be awake, that he doubles the serving -- "Yayyay!!"

I think we can all take a page from Drew's book. (And if you've seen how Drew treats a book, you'll know that the pages would be easy to take.)

Try it for a few days. Say "Yay!" when you first wake up. I personally guarantee, it will not ruin your day.

YAY !!

3 Comments:

At 7:41 AM , Blogger chunkinsblog said...

Thanks for your chalkboard note! I'm sorry I missed you. I can't say I start the day saying Yay, but as least I hear it most of the time... :)

 
At 2:14 PM , Blogger meeegan said...

Glad you're home safely from the Land of Leafs!

 
At 7:00 AM , Blogger Tripp Hudgins said...

Huzzah!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home