Lagniappe

a little something extra

Friday, April 11, 2008

The Friday Five - Movin' On Up

A meme from Tripp the Anglobaptist...

1. How many times have you moved? When was the last time?

I have moved from city to city, state to state, time zone to time zone, and/or country to country a total of 12 times. I have moved within cities another 11 times. So, the grand total is 23 household moves so far.

The most recent one was in July 2006, when I moved into an un-air-conditioned apartment during a triple-digit heat wave. This is probably poetic justice, when balanced against the time that I moved to Minneapolis at New Year's and it was 35 below when I arrived.

2. What do you love and hate about moving?

I love the fresh start. I hate cleaning the place I'm moving out of.

3. Do you do it yourself or hire movers?

Professionals came into the picture around move # 15. On an interstate move, I take my "survival kit" myself -- inflatable bed, basic kitchen equipment, alarm clock. etc. -- so that I can camp in my new home until the movers catch up with me. On a move within a city, I handle much of the kitchen transfer, artwork, plants, etc. but still hire pros to do the heavy lifting.

4. Advice for surviving and thriving during a move?

Plan plan plan. Make lists, then make lists of the lists that you've made. Keep a "move file" with notes on all the phone calls you've placed about mundanities like electrical service, changing the address for your newspaper delivery, etc. Never let the "move file" out of your sight until at least a week after the move is complete.

5. Are you in the middle of any inner moves, if not outer ones?

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you...

5 Comments:

At 8:00 AM , Blogger Glenn Larratt said...

Hm. Is the implication that you're moving, or was this thought to be of general interest? (If all the ducks - specifically the enormous one labeled "new job" - are in a row, we will be within the next two months.)

 
At 3:52 PM , Blogger meeegan said...

Good luck with your move!

I am not implying anything.

 
At 7:49 AM , Blogger Adam Szymkowicz said...

this is very helpful. I am moving.

 
At 10:14 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I can not stress how important it is to plan your move carefully and do your research.
Moving Company Quotes

 
At 4:10 AM , Blogger bob said...

Thanks for this amazing article on Lagniappe , I was Just searching for most affordable door to door moving services in hoffman estates il and found this amazing website of yours.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home