Lagniappe

a little something extra

Thursday, October 13, 2005

social butterfly

Though no one in his/her right mind would actually call me that, this is proving to be a week full of extracurricular activities.

Over the past weekend, I traveled up to L.A. to see a play whose playwright I like and respect. Before the show I met with another playwright for coffee and discussion. The next day I traveled down to San Diego to see the first production of the first season of a new theatre company, founded in part by two artists I went to UT with. I also knew the playwright of their show, and she was there, so there was yet more hanging out to be done. It's always a good idea to feed a playwright when you get the chance.

Later in the week I got to do it again, when a playwright arrived for an introductory reading at my theatre. This writer has never been here before, so the reading (tomorrow) serves as the theatre's first best chance to meet him and "meet" his play, which we've all read. So I took him to dinner last night.

Today and tomorrow, it's post-work drinks etc. with other folks who work at my theatre company and show all the earmarks of becoming friends. It's all good times, and I appreciate that it's all open to me. But it's also easy to see how careful I still have to be with my budget. My house is not yet rented, so the financial pressure is on until further notice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home