Lagniappe

a little something extra

Sunday, October 02, 2005

comfort and joy

Today, after six weeks of waiting, my new sofa and armchair were delivered. On time, even! I will confess that after the truly awful experience I had with my movers, I experienced some cynical doubt about whether the furniture company would do any better. Happily, they did, and my cynicism was unnecessary.

However. (There's always a "however.") However, once the sofa and armchair were stashed in my abode, it took me only a few minutes to realize that everything else in my living room was in the wrong place. Whatever genius designed this building placed the cable outlet on a small section of wall smack dab between the fireplace and the sliding glass doors that lead out to the balcony. So, one can't run the cable safely in either direction, which means if you're going to use cable the electronics have to be in that corner and everything else has to orbit around them.

So, I spent the next hour or two taking everything off my large bookshelf, moving it to another wall and putting everything back. Moving my desk into the dining room, where there's plenty of space. Shifting the filing cabinet into place to be an end table at one side of the sofa; pushing the sofa into place; then putting the small table my parents gave me as a housewarming gift on the other side. That table is my single favorite piece of furniture; once it was in place, I had some hope that the rest would work. Moved the armchair across the room. Moved its companion floor lamp so it wouldn't be lonely. Hooked the stereo back up -- nope, the CD mechanism still won't generate sound. Curses, foiled again.

Anyway. The living room is getting cozier by the minute. If I didn't have work to do, I'd be curled up on that sofa right now, watching one of the movies that Netflix sent me.

Instead I'm sitting at my desk listening to Carmina Burana and trying to generate staging ideas to share at a meeting after work tomorrow. Listening to Carmina Burana at night is bound to give one interesting dreams...

4 Comments:

At 12:35 PM , Blogger Benjamin said...

I feel your pain in re : movers. We moved ourself from Atlanta to Indiana, and swore never again after. But when the "professional" movers break a coffee table, a printer stand, a lamp, and every single platter you own, you begin to re-think that, even if only for a moment.

Regarding the broken CD player, I recommend opening and re-closing the case. I know electrocnics and computers are part of Joe's 20%, but all you need to know for this is which end of the screwdriver is the business end. Just a thought! ;)

 
At 9:27 AM , Blogger meeegan said...

Sounds like the next step up in intensity from the Microsoft Solution: "If it won't work, turn it off and then turn it on again."

 
At 4:55 PM , Blogger Sam Brady said...

Microsoft? I thought that was the Phil Collins solution.

 
At 11:44 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

You always need to research moving companies and read some mover reviews from clients.
Moving Company Quotes

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home