Lagniappe

a little something extra

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Katrina

I'm sure that in the past 24 hours, you have seem some footage, heard some radio coverage or read some news articles about the devastation that Hurrican Katrina has left in her wake. The people of New Orleans, Biloxi, Gulfport, and the surrounding areas have lost almost more than can be borne. They are in grave danger still. When I heard someone refer to this event as "our tsunami," it immediately made me think, "It's not like everything is back to normal in the areas that were hit by the tsunami a couple of months ago. Why haven't I checked up on them? Why are they not still on my radar of concern?"

The faith I profess makes me responsible for feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, and comforting the sick, lost and imprisoned. Doing that is a lifetime gig, not a charge that ends when the news coverage tapers off.

According to Mapquest, I'm sitting 1884.43 miles from the center of New Orleans. How, then, can I help from here?

The International Red Cross is asking for online donations of money first and foremost, so that they can coordinate the donation of food, water and other key supplies in the massive amounts that are needed for immediate relief. They are also coordinating thousands of Red Cross volunteers to help staff shelters. If you're interested in that, please contact your local chapter.

The American Friends Service Committee
is also directing donations to its Crisis Fund towards relief for the people who have survived Hurricane Katrina.

And on the governmental front, FEMA is also collecting cash, which they are reissuing to people in need, through volunteer agencies. My sister's neighbor works for FEMA; I am guessing that Erin is pet-sitting and bringing her neighbor's mail in once again, making it a little easier for her neighbor to be on the ground along the Gulf shores for as long as she is needed there.

Please do what you can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home