Lagniappe

a little something extra

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I made somebody feel better

Today, I had an impromptu phone consultation with J*, a friend of mine who lives in another state but does similar work in my industry.

She and I had been in a common professional orbit for a few years, but we really only got to know each other this past summer when we both worked at a new play conference for a couple of weeks. The conference places a deliberate focus on building community, so we had ample opportunity to hang out, and it was rewarding.

So today I got an email from J*, asking whether I had time in the next couple of days to talk about a couple of questions she had. A brief game of phone tag put us in direct touch early this afternoon. Turned out she had gotten an old button pushed by a new experience, so we talked about that. She was concerned about something her Big Boss had said off the cuff, so we talked about that. And she was feeling pressure about some volunteer work she does for a professional organization we both belong to, so we talked about that and brainstormed a little.

As we wound up our conversation, she said, "I feel so much better now! About everything!"

So when I get to the end of my day, what am I going to be proudest of? The plays I read? The letters I wrote? The weekly meeting I had with my assistant? The conversations I had with my colleagues here at the theatre where I work?

Nope. I'm going to be most proud that I made somebody feel better today.

Hope you did too. Or if you in a position to need somebody to make you feel better, I hope someone stepped up for you.

2 Comments:

At 2:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay for you! isn't it nice when you can make someone feel better so easily? i did the same today, just by sharing some news which affects us both positively...

 
At 9:19 AM , Blogger meeegan said...

Very cool!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home