Lagniappe

a little something extra

Monday, January 08, 2007

Sib of the Week

Laurie is one of my imaginary friends.

My imaginary friends are those I know through my online community, but have not met in person. Once I meet someone in "real life," they are no longer imaginary.

Laurie has recently returned from doing field research in a far-off place. She's finishing a doctorate, and now that she's back in the U.S. I can hope to make her non-imaginary someday.

Anyway. Laurie's most recent blog posting concerns her decision to call her younger brothers more frequently. I used to be magnificent about calling my siblings, from the time I went away to college and used to time my calls home such that my youngest sister and brother might be home and awake.

For a while, I implemented the Sib of the Week system. Conveniently, my sisters and brother number four, so I could call one of them each weekend, and everybody would get one call a month. Sometimes, to avoid long games of phone tag around people's busy schedules, I would give them a heads-up: "Hey, you're Sib of the Week this week! When should I call you?"

But over time, the Sib of the Week system disintegrated. Now I can go for many days without my non-work phone ringing. So here's the question: should the Sib of the Week system go back into action? And how could responsibility for initiative be shared?

7 Comments:

At 7:13 PM , Blogger chunkinsblog said...

It's for you!

Of course we are happy to call you. I wish I still drove to work so I could call you on the way home as I did last year. We'll have to set up more video calls now that I'm back to work, too.

 
At 4:37 AM , Blogger Tripp Hudgins said...

Well, not that I am a sib, but when I was in college with one of the sibs, I thought it was brilliant. And if everyone did it (rotation is all important), then you guys would be up on the ews at all times.

But that was before there was e-mail. E-mail changed everything.

 
At 9:30 AM , Blogger meeegan said...

You're right. The heyday of the Sib of the Week system happened before email was a part of our everyday lives; true geeks may have had it at that point, but we humanities types had not yet entered the digital waters.

 
At 5:53 PM , Blogger Laurie K said...

oooh! I'm famous in your blog!

I went to the calling for my resolution because I do try email sometimes, but it is so easy to just not reply. This way, I'll catch them on the phone and they can't escape.

 
At 9:15 AM , Blogger meeegan said...

No escape... mwuhahahaha... :-)

 
At 9:15 AM , Blogger meeegan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6:45 PM , Blogger Benjamin said...

I know my dad would much rather talk to us on the phone than get an e-mail - it's just that he has two monumentally irresponsible sons to cope with, so we get more e-mail from him than we used to. I'd rather talk with you on the phone myself, but the 3 hour time difference (and my afore-mentioned monumental irresponsibiliticalness) seems to make this tricky. Is a bi/weekly call at a preset time too regimented or unfeasible? First and third Thursday of every month except on those occasions where the 3rd Thursday falls on a prime numbered day in which case the closest even-numbered day will replace it... or something...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home